Monday, September 12, 2011

Life and Compost

When you have the time, you don't have the money...When it rains it pours...When life hands you lemons...Tonight I'm at the end of a 12 hour shift.  My brain is a little fuzzy.  So, I'll shift gears and touch on the glamor of compost.  Improve your soil at little or no expense.  Fashion some free pallets into a sort of three room condo and start adding your browns and greens.  Browns = carbon (leaves, straw, wood chips)  Greens = nitrogen (lawn clippings, kitchen scraps...no meat..., and manure of a vegetarian animal) Shoot for three browns for every green.  If you don't have enough browns, it will be stinky.  If you don't have enough greens, it won't break down as well or as quickly.  I keep a bucket with a clean liner in it to catch the kitchen scraps.  I throw it on the pile once a week and cover it with straw, poop, and cedar shavings from cleaning out the chicken coop.  When room one of the compost condo is full, I'll move the contents to room two, then room three and then to the garden or grow boxes.  If your short on browns, fall is on its way.  Grab all the free leaves you can get from friends and neighbors.  Stir your compost once a month.  I spray mine with a little water when the weather dries it out.  You CAN do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment